Emerging Markets And Precious Metals Lead August ETF Inflows
In a report released by independent investment research provider, Morningstar Inc. (MORN), asset outflows from domestic equity exchange traded funds (ETFs) contributed to net outflows of $1.3 billion from U.S. ETFs in August, ending a six-month streak of consecutive monthly inflows.
Additional highlights from Morningstar’s report on ETF flows:
- Emerging markets continue to have appeal. International-stock ETFs had inflows of $4.4 billion, the highest of all asset classes for the second straight month, thanks to strong demand for emerging-markets ETFs. Over the trailing three-year period, emerging-markets ETFs have accounted for more than 61 percent of flows into the asset class.
- SPDR S&P 500 (SPY), the largest ETF in terms of net assets, saw outflows of $6.6 billion in August, as investors moved their assets into higher-yielding equity strategies, including defensive and dividend-paying sectors and preferred stock ETFs.
- iShares iBoxx $ High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) and SPDR Barclays Capital High Yield Bond (JNK), with inflows of $464 million and $332 million, respectively, led flows into junk bond ETFs, as investors took on more risk in search of more attractive yields in August. Short-term bond ETFs remained popular despite their unimpressive yields.
- Precious-metals ETFs, bolstered by inflows of $827 million into SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), were the most popular ETFs in the commodities asset class in August.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/augflows10.
Disclosure: No Positions
About SmartStopsWe are a new service launched to the market in July of 2008. Our mission - to help ensure stock and etf investors stay protected in their positions at all times. see www.smartstops.net
As George Soros says:
- No Alerts. - No alerts have been triggered for stocks in the S&P 500 on Friday, 17-Feb-2017 ow.ly/hHf7509D8m7 2 days ago
- MNK Conservative Reentry - MALLINCKRODT PUB LTD ORD [$MNK] Conservative Reentry at $54.54 on 17-Feb-17 03:03 PM... ow.ly/9ECg509CW4q 2 days ago
- PNR Aggressive Exit - "Pentair, Inc" [$PNR] Aggressive Exit at $57.27 on 17-Feb-17 12:21 PM EST ow.ly/oeup509CIGh 2 days ago
- MLM Aggressive Exit - Martin Marietta Materials [$MLM] Aggressive Exit at $215.85 on 17-Feb-17 12:07 PM EST ow.ly/YiRu509CIGi 2 days ago
- PAYX Aggressive Exit - Paychex Inc [$PAYX] Aggressive Exit at $58.29 on 17-Feb-17 11:27 AM EST ow.ly/E6Jw509CDdk 2 days ago