Silver To Remain Shiny
By Kevin Grewal
In the past year, silver outperformed gold posting exceptional gains and there are many indicators suggesting that its upward trend will likely continue well into the current year.
Silver’s appeal and exceptional performance will likely be driven by three factors. The first being an increase in demand by investors, the second being an increase in industrial demand and the last being the supply for the precious metal is slowly diminishing away.
Silver offers many of the same benefits as gold including being a play against the dollar and offering protection against inflation. Additionally, many metals experts state that silver is not considered to be overbought when compared to gold and in fact valuations are highly attractive when compared to gold making it more attractive to investors.
As economies around the world continue to grow and emerge out of recessions, the industrial applications of silver will likely add to its attractiveness. In fact, the latest data suggests that nearly 55% of total silver fabrication is used for industrial purposes. The reason behind this is that silver has unique industrial characteristics which prevents it from corroding, allows it to maintain a luster with minor polishing and enables it to have a high conductivity rate. As a result, the metal is commonly used in the electronics space and can be found in plasma display panels and printed circuit boards.
Additionally, the precious metal is used as an additive to the lining of some refrigerators, for food storage containers, in hospital equipment and in alternative medicine as an antiseptic and to treat fungal infections. Both the tech and medical sectors are expected to see growth in the coming year which will likely spur demand of silver.
From a supply perspective, the United States Geological Survey states that silver is nearly twice as rare as gold in the long term because it is not recycled at the same rates as gold and at current consumption rates all of the silver that is in the earth’s crust will diminish away in the next 25 years.; this will likely put supply pressures on the price of the metal.
A combination of these factors will likely provide support to silver prices and the following ETFs are likely to reap the benefits:
- the iShares Silver Trust (SLV), which physically holds silver bullion and closed at $18.27 on Wednesday.
- The PowerShares DB Silver Fund (DBS), which holds futures contracts in silver and closed at $33.16 on Wednesday
- the ProShares Ultra Silver (AGQ), which seeks to gain twice the performance of silver bullion and closed at $68.06 on Wednesday.
When in vesting in these equities, it is important to consider factors that could potentially hinder the price of silver like an unexpected surge in the dollar. A good to way to protect against these factors as well as the inherent risks involved with investing in equities, is through the use and implementation if an exit strategy which triggers price points at which an upward trend in gold could potentially be coming to an end.
According to the latest data at www.SmartStops.net, the price points for the aforementioned ETFs are: SLV at $17.49; DBS at $32.03; AGQ at $56.38. These price points fluctuate on a daily basis and reflect changes in market conditions. Updated data can be found at www.SmartStops.net.
About SmartStopsWe are a new service launched to the market in July of 2008. Our mission - to help ensure stock and etf investors stay protected in their positions at all times. see www.smartstops.net
As George Soros says:
- With stocks near a record high, is a change of fortune just around the corner? blog.smartstops.net/2017/04/13/wit… 1 week ago
- KMX Aggressive Exit - CarMax Inc [$KMX] Aggressive Exit at $58.47 on 31-Mar-17 02:30 PM EST ow.ly/s9I150ayJUA 3 weeks ago
- BMY Aggressive Exit - Bristol-Myers SQUIBB [$BMY] Aggressive Exit at $54.48 on 31-Mar-17 01:14 PM EST ow.ly/beWv50ayJUB 3 weeks ago
- PLD Aggressive Reentry - ProLogis [$PLD] Aggressive Reentry at $51.80 on 31-Mar-17 12:12 PM EST ow.ly/KUIA50aywQ4 3 weeks ago
- AN Aggressive Exit - AutoNation Inc [$AN] Aggressive Exit at $42.46 on 31-Mar-17 11:41 AM EST ow.ly/Uf8X50ayt2C 3 weeks ago